If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Full Throttle Speed Tech Support > Standard MAF Translator Support > MAFT General Discussion
User Name
Password
Home Online Store Product Manuals FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Default new here seeking LS1 advice

Hello all I'm new here,
seeking advice for my mildly modded 99 Pontica trans am LS1 cam, LTs, FAST intake.
My WOT air/fuel ratio is 11.5 and is pulling 2 degrees of timing (from 28 degrees at WOT).only Scanned w/ HP tuners.(I don't have access for any HP tuning changes)

considering a older MAST & a LC1 wideband to get more correct base settings to correct this (if possiable). to aviod the purchase of HP tuners which is costly am I'm not a tuner.

the MAST version is ctg 5.21 ? doe'snt this older model go to version 6 and even to 6.1?

I've read the 2 manuels posted here and only saw 2 imports is there a GM LS1 manuel that I can read here?

Thanks

Last edited by thebrain : 06-06-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

I will dig up the LS1 manual, but I believe its the same as the Buick.

For an LS1, there is no difference in the software from version 5.xx so there is no need to upgrade.

On an LS1, you can only adjust A/F with that unit as it cannot adjust timing on an LS1.

Bob
Old 06-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

The screws look rusty in the picture, so be sure to check for corrosion issues.

B
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 AM

Default a/f

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBob

For an LS1, there is no difference in the software from version 5.xx so there is no need to upgrade.

On an LS1, you can only adjust A/F with that unit as it cannot adjust timing on an LS1.

Bob
Bob I believe the LS1 ECU pulls timing when it detechs a incorrect A/F ratio for safety. so if the A/F is correct maybe it won't pull timing?

this MAST is used not yet sure if I want to try to correct my A/F w/ MAST and LC1 or just save up and get HP tuners and some DVds to learn about tuning.

Thanks Bob for heads up on noticing rust on the MAST it's version 5 and coming off a 98 trans am do you think it mite be worn out?

Thanks for shareing the knowledge
Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

how are you reading the timing in your car?

Timing in an LS1 is calculated based on airflow and RPM, so you can make some adjustments to it using a MAFt.

As long as the used MAFt works its probably fine.

Bob
Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Default scanned w/ HP tuners

Quote:
how are you reading the timing in your car?

Timing in an LS1 is calculated based on airflow and RPM, so you can make some adjustments to it using a MAFt.

As long as the used MAFt works its probably fine.

Bob
actually I had the car scanned w/ HP tuners from an expensive tuner that really did'nt show me the read out just stated it's fat at WOT & is pulling 2 degrees of timing.

did'nt really explain much to me like the idel a/f part throttle ect.

I was'nt really impressed w/ this guy's explaination. I think he wanted my car for a few days of ragging and maybe a small tune adjustment.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

No matter what you use to tune, you will need some way to tell if you are doing the right thing.

The LC1 is a good unit, you will need some sort of display unit for it (make sure you get a kit with a display) I use the XD-16 display, but the others work well also.

You should look into some way to scan the PCM, like a Scanmaster or some other sort of scan tool. The part throttle tuning, reading of trouble codes, etc. are all important when you get into the tuning.

Bob
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Default MAST and LC1

I was planning on using a LC1 w/ display and making A/F ratio adjustments w/ the MAST for starter then use HP tuners to scan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Innovate-LC1-Wideband-w-DB-Gauge-Kit-LC-1-Red-o2-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b255e64dQQitemZ17049 5698509QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries
Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Default LS1 manuel

Quote:

For an LS1, there is no difference in the software from version 5.xx so there is no need to upgrade. Bob I believe there is another timing tuner used for timing adjustments by the same manufactor of the MAST is this mainly for retarding timing when useing NOS?

Bob
Bob where you able to find the LS1 manuel.

also what is the picutred MAST (in post 1) referred to as?

I'm anixious to start studying it.

Thanks

Last edited by thebrain : 06-08-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Its called the Translator Plus.

I will look around for the manual, but its pretty much the same as the Buick one.