If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Full Throttle Speed Tech Support > MAF Translator Gen 2 > GEN 2 General Discussion
User Name
Password
Home Online Store Product Manuals FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Default Gen2 Extreme G hard to start and dead rich at idle.

1989 TTA, Translator gen2, plastic GM 3.5" MAF, Chip P/N GS0X7F06A

Maf input set to LS1 aluminum (does not seem to change when i select another design)

Maf out Extender/Pro

Engine size 3.8

6 cyl

Load Source MAF/RPM

Runs super rich at idle and is hard to start. Got a code 34 and then cleared it. Reset the Gen 2 and re programmed it to settings above. Still runs SUPER rich and scanmaster is reading 254 when its rich SOMETIMES. (this number sometimes reads 02 to 03 at idle). ALSO sometimes upon startup it will rev up to 3000rpm by itself and scanmaster reads 06 while its at 3000rpm. When i first installed the new parts listed above, it started and was super rich at idle for a few seconds and then idled properly. I did drive the car and it cruised perfectly but it would not allow me to build any boost, the car was not revving as i continued to push the gas pedal, if i let off i could drive at a cruise only.(seemed as if the car would not get any fuel past a certain TPS point and then it would throw a code 34)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 PM
I spend too much time here

Send a message via MSN to TurboDave

I don't know how much help I can be because I run a Translator Pro instead of the GEN II, but..... It sounds to me like there might be a wiring issue here.

In your description above you write that the scanmaster reading is 254 when rich sometimes reading 02 to 03 and sometimes reading 06 at a 3000 rpm idle, but you never say what parameter that reading is.

With the key on, engine off, watch your AF on the scanmaster while you push the accelerator to the floor and back. Does the AF value change. If the AF reading changes as you're pressing the accelerator, that means there's no MAF signal getting to the ECM and GENII.
TranslatorPro MAFless fuel, spark, boost and fuel pump management

Now using SD2 system.

86 GN(TranlatorPro/ExtenderPro on speed density w/boost and fuel pump control,PLX-WB)
87 GN(stock, for show)
01 Excursion LTD 7.3L PSD(Power Stroke Diesel), Turbo, 4X2 (big puller)
12 Lincoln MKT, 3.5V6 Twin Turbo Ecoboost 365HP (driver)
Old 08-29-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDave
I don't know how much help I can be because I run a Translator Pro instead of the GEN II, but..... It sounds to me like there might be a wiring issue here.

In your description above you write that the scanmaster reading is 254 when rich sometimes reading 02 to 03 and sometimes reading 06 at a 3000 rpm idle, but you never say what parameter that reading is.

With the key on, engine off, watch your AF on the scanmaster while you push the accelerator to the floor and back. Does the AF value change. If the AF reading changes as you're pressing the accelerator, that means there's no MAF signal getting to the ECM and GENII.

Readings i am speaking about are MAF from scanmaster.

Key on engine off the MAF readings are bouncing around from 01 to 04 to 02 to 18 to 06 ect... This is without pushing the gas pedal.

If i depress the gas pedal with key on engine off the MAF readings stay at 01
Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 PM

Well, those readings are definately wrong. You should be reading a steady number at key on. Something in the 05-07 range. Are you sure the maf is any good?

Now using SD2 system.

86 GN(TranlatorPro/ExtenderPro on speed density w/boost and fuel pump control,PLX-WB)
87 GN(stock, for show)
Old 08-29-2013, 04:32 PM

I figured out the problem!!! MAF wire was still inline!!! clipped it out of the way and soldered it straight to the MAF wire and it works flawless at idle and revving in park! Now i will go drive it and see how she does!!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:56 PM

Glad you found it. Figured it had to be some kind of wiring issue.

Now using SD2 system.

87 GN(stock, for show)