If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Full Throttle Speed Tech Support > Turbo Buick > Buick 2 Step
User Name
Password
Home Online Store Product Manuals FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Regular

Default 2-step install issues

I just attempted to install the 2-step, which was straightforward. After all the connections were made, key on, I had no run led light illuminating. I attempted to start the car with no luck. I began troubleshooting at the fuse box adapter. I found that the pink wire was not getting power, yet the red wire was. I snipped the pink wire and was able to get it power from the other side of the fuse box adapter (opposite of where it was soldered). Still no run led and still no engine start.

I then pulled the fuse box adapter completely out of the fuse block and replaced it with the original 10 amp fuse. Car started right up. I then snipped the fuse block adapter completely off and wired both the red and pink wires straight to 12v power. Still no run led, but I had engine start.

During all of this though, when I pushed my momentary switch, both the run and trig led's would light up for 2 seconds, then shut off. I was never able to get either led to light up when changing dip switch positions. I have yet to actually test to see if the 2-step functionality is working.

Any ideas what the issue could be?
1987 Buick Grand National, SD Chip, 235 inch 109, TE-45A, Home ported iron heads w/1.77 intake valves, cometic .040", 215/220 roller cam, 3" external gate DP, custom catback, LC1, Twin nozzle (M10/M15) Meth, 80lb Siemens, PTC 9.5" 3200 non-lockup, Extreme Automatics Stage II
Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Regular

Well son-uva-gun. I had one of the units where the main power harness was wired backwards. I'll rewire everything tomorrow and hope for the best.
1987 Buick Grand National, SD Chip, 235 inch 109, TE-45A, Home ported iron heads w/1.77 intake valves, cometic .040", 215/220 roller cam, 3" external gate DP, custom catback, LC1, Twin nozzle (M10/M15) Meth, 80lb Siemens, PTC 9.5" 3200 non-lockup, Extreme Automatics Stage II
Old 08-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

The pins are tough to get out of the connector, I can fix it for you if you send it in.

A couple guys have just modded the connector (trimmed the orientation features) so it will plug the other way.

Let me know if I can help.

Bob
Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Regular

Thanks Bob. All I did was use a razor and cut off the edges of the two outer pins and flipped the whole connector, no big deal really.

I do have a question though. It seems as if my 2 step does pull timing, but doesn't limit RPM. When I start the car, the run LED lights up and stays lit. When I'm idling, and I push my momentary button, both run and trig lights will light up and the motor will start to run rough (when I have it set to pull 8 degrees of timing). When I have it set to 24 degrees, and I'm idling and push the button, the car stalls. So that tells me the retard is working. Is it supposed to retard timing, regardless of RPM?

But, if I'm holding the button, and creep up to the trigger rpm (set to 2000 rpm for testing) it goes right past the rpm and doesn't limit it. It doesn't matter if I have it set to full cut, 250 rpm partial, 500 rpm partial, or no cut at all. The trigger rpm LED does start to flash when I reach the trig rpm I have it set at, but no rev limit. I even tried it in gear and made sure I was WOT, still no luck. Do I need to be WOT for the trigger rpm limit to work?

I even tested both grey and brown wires when I push the button, I get 12v's at both when the button is pressed, right at the two step box.

It sure does build boost quicker when retarding the timing, but I just wished the limiter worked so I can launch at the track consistently.

Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

which way is the fuse block adapter installed?

Do you have an ignition "hotwire" kit?

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GN fuse block install.pdf (284.4 KB, 1260 views)
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Regular

I bought a new adaptor after I was trying to figure out the backward pin orientation.

My adaptor is setup up just like your picture, but, the pink wire is on the left terminal and in front of the fuse. I believe the right terminal and behind the fuse is where you had the pink wire soldiered too. What does the pink wire do?

I don't believe I have an ignition hot wire kit. How could I check?

Here is pic of my setup:

Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsfastz
I bought a new adaptor after I was trying to figure out the backward pin orientation.

My adaptor is setup up just like your picture, but, the pink wire is on the left terminal and in front of the fuse. I believe the right terminal and behind the fuse is where you had the pink wire soldiered too. What does the pink wire do?

I don't believe I have an ignition hot wire kit. How could I check?

Here is pic of my setup:

Move the fuse to the other location.

move the pink wire to the right hand slot.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Regular

Thanks bob, I'll try it in the morning.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Regular

I got everything working perfectly. Thanks Bob for the fast responses!