If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Full Throttle Speed Tech Support > MAF Translator Gen 2 > GEN 2 General Discussion
User Name
Password
Home Online Store Product Manuals FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Default Gen.2 Bypass?

Hiya,

My 3000GT VR4 has been away now 18 months, very long story, but anyway the engine has just been forged built & it's ready for start up.

The thing is the garage won't start the car up with the Gen.2 connected up even though I've told them with basic settings the car will run as stock.

They want to remove the unit & put the car back to stock form unless there is some sort of bypass.

Now I haven't seen my Gen.2 in 18 months & just can't remember. Is there a bypass switch or setting for the Gen.2?

Many Thanks,

TERRY
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

the stock settings should be a bypass, but there is no specific way to set it that way.

what are your settings? what MAF?

Bob
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM

Hello Again Bob & thanks for the reply. The MAF I have is a GM 3.5" MAF which is the aluminium type for the settings I believe.

What the garage want to do is get hold of a set of stock 360cc injectors & a Stock 3000GT Karmen Vortex MAF & then strip out the Gen.2 & put the car back to stock totally.

The thing is Bob that's not what I want & before they took the job on they were aware of the Gen.2 been fitted along with 550cc injectors & the 3.5" GM MAF.

I just don't get why they won't just put in the basic start up settings i.e. tell the Gen.2 the basic info & drop the mainscale. By doing that Bob do you not agree the car should run on a stock sort of MAP except with bigger injectors & a GM MAF?

I just wasn't sure if there was a bypass for them to go with their plan & revert to stock injectors & Karmen MAF. I'm not going to allow them to strip the Gen.2 out & will go down & enter the settings myself because I believe that's what they're scared of. They say they've never seen an AFC like mine & don't want to get involved in it.

What would be helpful Bob is if you could just give me a list of instructions telling me what to input into the Gen.2 to get a basic tune with the 550cc Injectors & 3.5" GM MAF? Also I'm using the AEM Wideband & TD04L 13T turbo's but the turbo's will be irrelevant for a basic tune won't they?

I do apologise Bob because around 16 months ago you started to give me basic instructions but I've had a nightmare with my car & the last garage the car was at turned out to be a chop shop & they stripped my car down for most of the performance parts which has put the whole build back by 15 months.

A basic startup guide would be massively appreciated Bob & I'll get down there & start the car myself.

Massive Thanks As Always,

TERRY

Last edited by TEZ7666 : 10-03-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

How far down was the car torn?

You can have the shop contact me if you like.

You can run the Gen-2 with the stock MAF also, but be sure to disconnect the V-Out wires (brown and gray) or you can damage the Gen-2.

Bob
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM

My apologies Bob! Usually I get an alert to replies to my posts but the site keeps banning me from time to time coz of my UK Yahoo email address.

The car has been completely rebuilt with a forged engine, massive custom sidemount intercoolers with custom piping, TD04L 13T Turbo's 550cc injectors, custom manifolds & exhaust bla...bla...bla...

OK so the garage have started the car up & the settings are still in it from the previous tuning shop but they say the car is running slightly rich at 13.7.

They're contacting me tonight to let me know what the settings read but I have a feeling the mainscale may just want dropping a bit.

Thanks for all the help Bob & if we get stuck can I give you a shout?

TEZ
Old 10-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

yeah, you can post here or contact me thru the PM's on the board.

13.7 is fine for a modified car, a decent place to start. what brand of 550's? does the A/F go back to 14.7 when driving?

Bob
Old 10-29-2012, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the reply Bob!

MY ECU is a stock 1st Gen. 3000GT VR4
My injectors are PTE 550cc's
My Wideband is the AEM Uego 30-4100 (AEM 5v)
MY Gen.2 is the latest running 1.20
The MAF is a Brandnew 3.5GM Aluminium (part number 25179711 or 19112572)

OK the guy building my car got it idling at 14.7 but as soon as the accelerator is pressed the Wideband is all over the place ranging from 12 to 17afr.

Have a look at this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uZJBAMe0vYE

The settings have been put into the Gen.2 which you gave me & double checked. The stock o2 sensor has been disabled & the AEM is wired to the Gen 2 as per your instructions with the earths been to the same point.

The timing is spot on & checked with a strobe, the MAF was tested to see if it's working. There is no misfiring or anything & the engine doesn't really seem to be running lumpy but just a massive lack of power & very erratic AFR's.

The guy who's rebuilt my car has got really frustrated with it so now I'm having to have the car trailered 100miles to the nearest tuning shop that has a dyno to see if they can get the car to run.

Any advice you could offer Bob would be a big help.

Thanks,

TERRY
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

we need to log the ECU to figure out some of this.

revving in neutral can sometimes make the ECU cut fuel like that, because it thinks you are decelerating. Richening up the tune can help that.

We need to log the ECU to see whats happening.

Bob