If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Full Throttle Speed Tech Support > Standard MAF Translator Support > MAFT General Discussion
User Name
Password
Home Online Store Product Manuals FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 AM

Default confused on which MAFT

Hello all... I am new to these forums and fairly new to tuning so bare with me.

I am having a little confusion on the different types of MAFT's. In short, what I'm really trying to clarify is that the MAFT Gen II is NOT the same thing as the MAFT v2.02, correct?

I don't know which one to choose for my car. I'm not really interested in going mafless with speed density... unless someone can change my mind on that one.

I keep hearing good AND bad things about both v2.02 AND gen II. Which one is easier to use? Do I need a seperate AFC in conjunction with these (like when v1.3 was out.) And what is the difference between v2.02 and 1.3? I keep hearing that the boxes are identical.

Thanks for clearing these basic question up for me.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

the 2.02 is similar to the 1.3, in it is the basic MAFt, with adjustment knobs.

It has more tunability than the older 1.3 version. But many guys like running an SAFC also for additional fine tuning ability.

The Gen-2 is a separate beast, has a keypad and LCD, and has lots of tuning flexibility. It has wideband AFR tracking (a flavor of self tuning) and optional logging capability. You would not need an SAFC with a Gen-2, it would be redundant in that case.

Bob
Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBob
the 2.02 is similar to the 1.3, in it is the basic MAFt, with adjustment knobs.

It has more tunability than the older 1.3 version. But many guys like running an SAFC also for additional fine tuning ability.

The Gen-2 is a separate beast, has a keypad and LCD, and has lots of tuning flexibility. It has wideband AFR tracking (a flavor of self tuning) and optional logging capability. You would not need an SAFC with a Gen-2, it would be redundant in that case.

Bob

That's interesting. So basically the Gen II kind of replaces the stock narrowbands in your car and adjusts your AF based on the wideband (if equipped)? And what's the optional logging capability? I already log through my vehicles diagnostic port.

What would be a reason why I would choose the basic 2.02 over the gen II? I keep hearing that the 2.02 is so much better than the original MAFT that a separate piggyback is not needed... or maybe they were talking about the Gen II and I got them mixed up?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Full Throttle Guy

Send a message via AIM to admin

the gen II unit is like having a basic unit plus an AFC (only with more control) and wideband tracking all in one.
Mike
Old 06-27-2010, 11:20 AM
I spend too much time here

What kind of car do you want to put this on?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbs
What kind of car do you want to put this on?

This is going on a 97 3000GT VR4 with a hybrid 94-95 ECU.