PDA

View Full Version : Sudden onset of Scanmaster 3i Malfunction, shuts offwhenattempt ismade to clear codes

Mike82
03-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Hello, I have a Scanmater 3i that I purchased brand new from Full Throttle back in 2008 and use it in my 2G 1997 Turbo Eclipse GST. It has worked flawlessly for 4 years. I only drive the car once a month to work and it stays garage kept most of the time. It has a larger turbo and fuel system, etc and outputs about 325whp and 325wtq and runs consistent mid 12 sec 1/4 mile times. The Last time I had the car out for inspection I did as I do each each time, after the drive I use Scanmater to check and clear the codes (check engine light is removed and even though the car is dyno tuned I like to stay ontop of things with the Scanmaster after each run) One code which always comes up is O2 sensor problem, which is normal for this car due to the aftermarket wide Band O2 sensor. However this last time, it displayed the code and then immediately upon attempting to reset the code, the Scanmaster immediately powered down and does not return on until the car is restarted. This puzzles me… It does this every time a code reset is attempted, rather than simply going blank and resetting itself as it always did. it also does does not clear the code, the code remains. I am curious if this is a malfunction with the Scanmaster itself, and if you can fix this for me. I spoke with the secretary she said I could send it in, but I told her I would not be able to do it until April when I got the car uncovered and whatnot for the spring. So I figured I would start here. Thank you to whom it may concern! I am dying to know what would cause this? Every other function looks and behaves normal as it should, but the second you attempt to clear a code, the Scanmaster 3i spazzes out maybe flashing once or twice then turns off (black display)until the car is turned off and restarted. All plugs (quick connects and OBDII port) are snug as always). Thanks again!

TurboBob
03-11-2012, 01:25 AM
thats really odd. I think you're going to have to send it to me.

Bob

Mike82
03-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks Bob, I think I still have the original box as well which I will pack it in if I can find it. I am very interested in seeing what you find! Probly around erly April I will uninstall it and send in for you. I will call again before doing so for instructions. I am worried it may be a ECU malfunction of my eclipse but not sure, hopefully it is the Scanmaster. Maybe I overuse the code reset? Every time it powers up I flick through (7 pushes) to engine coolant temp as I always prefer that displayed since after a boost run the temp spikes and I have other equipment for wide and O2 AFR readings. So maybe I overused that little switch? But then it would probably act up on all settings no? And it doesn't, it only does strange things in the diagnostic code mode. It is the right little round pushbutton switch that initiates the issues. Sometimes even if I just lightly touch that button without pushing it sometimes but not all the time, the Scanmaster will spaz out and shut off, but only in diagnostic code mode. Oh well you're the expert Bob, so hopefully you can figure this out for me when I send in April LOL. Prior to uninstalling it I will definitely attempt to duplicate the problem. Maybe it fixed itself over the winter LOL, I can only hope…

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike82
07-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Well, I have an update. I went and purchased a brand-new Scanmaster and installed it tonight. Same thing!!! I am actually glad that I did not send it to you as you would not have found a problem, is obviously not your Scanmasters. So Bob what do you think could cause this? Every other function on the Scanmaster works as it should, but as soon as I go to check codes it may show the code but within five seconds Scanmaster shuts off and will not reset codes. once I take the key out of the ignition and reinsert the key the Scanmaster comes alive again and works as it should as long as I don't go into the diagnostic trouble code mode. I pulled out every relay including the low and high radiator fan relay they all test perfect both coil continuity and the contacts. I even fired each relay with a 9 V battery just to make sure that it clicks and they do. I love the Scanmaster and it works perfect for everything else but I am unsure of what would cause this out of the blue. The only thing that changed between the time the Scanmaster work well to reset codes and when this problem began was the battery was let run dead probably three times until I bought a new battery and trickle charger. The car has been parked for over a year. Do you think I have a bad ECU? Tomorrow I may borrow a scan tool, a normal one and see if I can clear the codes, I will let you know. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks, -Mike

Mike82
07-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Well Bob, you're going to laugh. Someone on the DSM tuners forum gave me the advice to disconnect the negative terminal saying that possibly might be my ECM had developed a glitch from having the battery run half dead so many times before I bought the trickle charger. it worked! The brand-new Scanmaster works perfectly and so does the old one LOL! I'm probably just going to keep the old one as a backup, not that I would need it as you build solid equipment! I wanted to mark this as resolved so that people do not think it was Scanmaster's fault. Feel free to erase this post if you wish! I have learned the lesson of looking for the simple issues before jumping to conclusions about more complicated possible ones! -Mike

TurboBob
07-21-2012, 01:39 AM
wow, thats an odd one, glad its solved.

Bob