PDA

View Full Version : how about a new form factor for scanmaster

novaderrik
06-12-2010, 01:54 AM
hello. this is my first post here. i registered to make a suggestion- make a scanmaster with the display in a form factor that fits in the same hole as a typical gauge. it would be awesome if i didn't have to have something that looks like a radar detector from 20 years ago stuck on the dash of my Regal. it could go nicely in an A pillar gauge mount- which would conveniently place it not too far out of the normal line of sight of the driver.
all the "brains" could be in a separate box hidden under the dash somewhere, with only the display visible in the gauge mount.

TurboDave
06-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Not a bad idea, except.....

I like the portability if my scanmaster. With a cig lighter plug on the power wire, and a 1/8" spade connector on the data wire I can move the scanmaster from car to car

novaderrik
06-12-2010, 12:37 PM
i get that.. then maybe how about an optional gauge display purchased separately that plugs into the main box? it would require that the scanmaster be redesigned for the output plug, but everything needs to be updated from time to time...

AZMotorgod
09-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Novaderrik-

I feel you on this one. My car is probably going to be 85% street and 15% track (if that) and the thought of staring at that scanmaster all the time makes me cringe. Don't get me wrong I am a geek and love having that data available, it is just that form factor that I am not in love with.

I do want the data though, that is why I installed the powerlogger. I figure I can have the laptop hooked up for tuning and the track and then have a nice clean look in the car for the rest (read: majority) of the time.

I don't know maybe I would get use to it if I had one.

Dave-

I do like your idea as well and is worth considering.

Daveismissing
10-19-2011, 12:02 AM
I started a project last winter, a remote 2 1/8 round PCB that will replace the standard display portion connected by ribbon cable. Plan was to stick it inside a sacrificial gauge housing.

TurboBob
10-19-2011, 12:47 AM
let me know if you need any assistance.

Bob

Daveismissing
10-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks Bob, maybe I'll run into you at BG.

Scott89TTA
11-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Bob,

Did you ever consider this idea? I would love to be able to update my Scanmaster to a gauge pod :coool:

-Scott