PDA

View Full Version : ScanMaster 2.2 upgrade?

ScoJack
07-22-2008, 08:25 PM
I just changed out the chip today in my SM2.1 and now its dead? I extended the data wiring and hooked it up into the analog block, but when I put the new chip in; it lit up for a second but that was it. Then later when I messed with it again, it stayed solid untill I took it back out. And the PowerLogger isnt working either. The car starts, so I dont think its the ECM; but I could be wrong.

Figured I'd come here for some help figuring it out.

Thanks in advance.

ScoJack

TurboDave
07-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Did you remember that the Scanmaster's data wire now needs to be hooked up to the powerlogger interface block and NOT the ALDL connection??

Didn't bend any legs on the chip did you?

On the powerlogger input block there is a slot called SCN I think, look for that.

ScoJack
07-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Did you remember that the Scanmaster's data wire now needs to be hooked up to the powerlogger interface block and NOT the ALDL connection??

Didn't bend any legs on the chip did you?

On the powerlogger input block there is a slot called SCN I think, look for that.

Yes, I have the data wire connected to the #7 SCM port on the analog block. I straightened any bent pins during the installation.

TurboBob
07-23-2008, 04:47 AM
is the Scanmaster displaying anything during powerup?

Is the chip in backwards?

Bob

ScoJack
07-23-2008, 03:24 PM
is the Scanmaster displaying anything during powerup?

Is the chip in backwards?

Bob

The Scanmaster is blank even when the car is running. I have the data wire hooked up to the analog block, so Im beginning to think the PL isnt working at all. I did try to put the ECM holder back into place, so maybe that messed it up? When I installed the PL to the modified ECM, it worked. I had it working with my laptop and a fellow MAGNA members as well. Didnt touch it untill yesterday.

When I did the chip swap, I didnt unplug the SM from its power source... Maybe I should have? It really didnt even occur to me to do that untill someone else mentioned it...

I lined up the notches in the chip and the base (to the right), so I dont think the chip is in backwards; but its possible. I wouldnt have messed with it at all f I knew this was gonna happen.:(

I just hope I didnt fry a $280 SM...:alert:

Thanks for the help.

TurboBob
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
the Scanmasters are pretty tough. You didn't fry anything.

If the unit does not display SCM 2.2 when it powers up, there is something wrong inside the scanmaster.

There could be no power going to the unit, the chip may be installed wrong, or the chip might be bad.

You can reinstall the old chip and see if it starts working again.

Bob

ScoJack
07-24-2008, 04:38 PM
the Scanmasters are pretty tough. You didn't fry anything.

If the unit does not display SCM 2.2 when it powers up, there is something wrong inside the scanmaster.

There could be no power going to the unit, the chip may be installed wrong, or the chip might be bad.

You can reinstall the old chip and see if it starts working again.

Bob

Bob, thanks for all the help.

I got it working again. I went out to the car and unplugged it from its 12V source. Plugged it back in and it lit up with SCM 2.2 and then PL as well. Seems to work fine. I cant believe how fast it is! Its like the 02s went crazy!

Now I just gotta get the laptop working with the PL again, but that is okay for now.

Thanks again Bob.:usa: